Friday, May 1, 2009

Store clerk takes me back 40 years

Because we arrived a day early for our trip to Buffalo due to my mother-in-law's stroke there are a number of chores that need to be done.

With 'Smiley' in the hospital we divided up the chores and mine was to gas the folks' car and do some shopping.

The gas stop was easy, but the trip to Wegman's grocery store was a little more eventful. I'm a terrible shopper so you know how desperate my wife was to send me to pick up a few items.

My father-in-law was close to being out of his Sam Adams beer and his two daughters went through the refrigerator and decided the 3-year-old peanut butter and old milk (expiration date - April 20th) had to go.

So a few rolls for sandwiches (the rolls in Buffalo are like nowhere else) and some new lunch meat with expiration dates in the current year were also on the list.

It's Wegman's policy to "card" everyone who buys alcohol and for the first time in 40 years I got carded for buying beer. Heck, I don't even drink. The lady was very apologetic and said she was appreciative that I had a good attitude about the small inconvenience. (By the way, Wegman's have the vest salt and vinegar potato chips made by anyone, anywhere, well at least in Michigan and Western New York.)

"Many people aren't," she said.

Heck, I may even go back tomorrow and get carded again.

Thanks to all of you who have expressed your concern and prayers offline, we very much appreciate it.

No comments: