Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Plastic owl becomes perch for a dove

Over on my Grandma's Recess blog I wrote some additional information about our crazy Robin and leaky roof.
In case you don't want to follow the link, let's just say my bird-loving wife purchased a $14 plastic owl at Home Depot to scare off the suicidal Robin who kept dive bombing our windows because he saw his reflection.

The instructions (yes, there are instructions with a plastic owl) said to keep moving the owl so that birds wouldn't realize that the owl wasn't real.

(Aside #1: When my wife called her mother to tell her we purchased an owl to scare off the Robin, she asked my wife, 'what are you going to feed it?' I wanted to tell her plastic mice, but my she is my mother-in-law, after all).

(Aside #2: My friend Kim called over the weekend to tell me he had just left a hardware store where they were selling a $32 plastic owl that had a head that swiveled and made the traditional "Who-Who" sound of an owl).

Anyway, I came home for lunch Monday and saw a Mourning Dove nuzzling up to our leaning and lifeless plastic owl. I took a picture which is next to this paragraph.


Guess we didn't move him quite enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a dog!

Anonymous said...

Get a mean dog for your wife. Taylor would take care of your little dove trouble.

Anonymous said...

Does that mean that the dove is smarter then you are? Its a bird! I feel so bad for you James.

Jim of L-Town said...

I've been called a bird brain a few times in my life, so I guess it's possible.

Anonymous said...

Stick a firecracker in the owl and watch it work! Darn doves and pigeons...