Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine flu panic, I'm not participating

Once again, we are being subjected to over reach and panic over a potential health threat.

I have no objection to information about such a threat being reported, but the loudness of the panic and the extent of the coverage is, well, too much.

A few years ago we went through the same panic over the avian "bird" flu and it amounted to little if any problem. And let's not forget the Y2K panic either.

Currently there is one (1) reported death in this country related to the swine flu. Annually, there are hundreds of thousands of deaths from influenza and we don't have this kind of panic.

We should already know to "wash our hands" and "cover our mouths when we cough." A reminder to do so is not completely out of line, but come on.

Please, no more reporters at the airport meeting incoming flights from Mexico.

This morning the President of the United States is on television telling me I should stay home from work if I am sick. Thank you, Dad.

4 comments:

inky said...

Jim, I know you're not a big fan of the president, but I don't believe he made that statement because he thinks we're too dumb not to know when we're sick.

He said it because there are employers out there (Wal Mart comes to mind) that will either fire people for calling in sick or don't pay for even a reasonable number of sick days. If you have a choice of paying the mortgage or taking an unpaid day or two off to stay home with the flu, what do you think the choice will be?

No, I think the president's message is aimed as much at employers as it is at employees.

Paddywack Designs said...

Hey Jim,
Do you remember the "flesh eating disease scare?"
It had me terrified, mostly because I'm vain... but that's another story, anyway... My aunt and I tuned in to watch a special report on 20/20 only to end up watching a white bronco being chased by cops... the deadly, terrifying flesh eating disease was erased from the news by Mr. Oj Simpson... that was the last time "Epidemics" scared me, for better or worse.

Jim of L-Town said...

I'm actually a big fan of any President. Unlike some, I root for them all to succeed. They succeed, we succeed.

Blame it on my crotchety old age, but I don't like when young people are telling me the obvious. I don't like it when George W. did it and I don't like it when Barack Obama or anyone else does it either.

I'm an equal opportunity cynic.

If this does turn into a pandemic, and if the disease is as bad as they are saying, the solutions and actions will be obvious to everyone.

I had forgotten the example given by Paddywack Designs.

That night, the night of the great white Bronco chase (Quick, who was the driver of the white Bronco?) was the only time I ever called in sick (because of the flu, by the way)to the Flint Journal.

I had a couple periods where I was off for some minor medical procedures, but they were planned in advance.

I actually only called in sick that one Friday and it was because I could not get off the couch.

Only calling in sick once in 19 years was never acknowledged, appreciated or mentioned to me by any supervisory.

Didn't matter, I don't stay home from work sick, unless I simply am too sick to get up and go.

I guess I liked my work that much.

But thanks for the memory......

Anonymous said...

I pray your not getting sick. The "swine" thing threw me. Drink lots of water and stay warm. I don't want you to have to move to Aptos.