Friday, October 31, 2008

Traveling to Gettysburg for my dream tour

My weekend excursion promises to be a major highlight.

One of my very favorite past times is studying, reading about and traveling to Civil War sites. Thanks to a friend of mine, we are headed Friday for Gettysburg (which I have already toured three times) for a special battlefield walking tour and the guide is Ed Bearss (right).

For those not into Civil War history, Bearss is one of the premier living Civil War historians and is often seen on the History Channel and elsewhere.

The topic for the weekend tour is: "Picketts' Charge & Lee's Retreat."

There are two lectures Friday night, then a full day of touring on Saturday including trips to Fairfield, Monterey Pass, Smithsburg (my kind of town), Hagerstown, Funkstown, Falling Waters and Williamsport.

On Sunday, we will study the cavalry action bet Jeb Stuart and Custer, Culp's Hill and the Pickett, Pettigrew, Trimble assault.

It just doesn't get any better than that. So, I'll be back late (like really late) Sunday night and return to blogging Monday. Prepare yourself for lots of Civil War battle photos and war stories.

Unbelievably, neither of our wives wanted to go with us for this exciting weekend of testosterone filled war discussions.

For more information on Ed Bearss look here:

and here:

1 comment:

Jim's brother said...

What?? Joan probably does not care a lot for the Military channel either. Such is life I guess.

I have never been to Gettysburg and would have loved to have gone but I did get to see Valley Forge and Doylestown.