Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Basking in Spartans win, but no gloating here

The one year my MSU Spartans were able to overcome cross-state rivals Michigan I was out of town and not watching the game. (I may have to do that every year now).

When I heard we had defeated the Wolverines in Ann Arbor it brought back great memories of the 1978 game at "The Big House," as Michigan Stadium is called, when I was in attendance and watched the Spartans beat the Wolverines 24-15.

Kirk Gibson, later of Detroit Tigers and LA Dodger fame, caught a cross pattern pass and ran for a touchdown, which he scored right in front of the few Spartan fans in the south end zone.

So the Spartans are off to a good start, 7-2, and have won the biggest game of the year, but it is only one year and many of my friends root for the Maize and Blue, so I'm not going to pile on because hey, next year will roll around way too quickly.

I'm not even going to mention (except here) the phony gift touchdown the Wolverines received from the replay official.

Both schools are great, but it wouldn't be a rivalry if only one side ever won. So we're not gloating, just basking in the happiness of a rare victory.

No comments: