Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Technology frustration puts me in the dark for 8 hours

In recent years I have become more and more comfortable with technology. I can download photos, blog, make a power point and I'm a whiz at Microsoft Word, but there are times that I'm lost in the ding weeds.

Today was such a day. In the middle of writing an e-mail, my computer Internet connection ended. Flat ended. I rebooted my computer. Nothing. I tried my wife's computer, no connection there either.

So I called our service provider. What I got was voice mail. "Leave a message for our technician and they will call you back in the order your request was received." That was at noon on my lunch hour.

Five-and-a-half hours later, still no call and still no Internet. So I called again. I mentioned that they must have a very, very long list of people to call back because I was still waiting. Of course, I left that message on another voice mail message.

In the middle of Bible study tonight, I got my return call from the Internet provider. "My tests show you should be getting a 'ridiculously' good signal," he said. Not being at home I told him I would check on the signal when I got home and would call him if all was not OK.

All was not OK when I got home. So I called again, this time he called back in about 15 minutes.

I explained my problem. The solution, he said, was to pull the plug on my router for 15 seconds and plug it back in and see if the problem was cleared up. I thought this was some kind of IT joke.

So, feeling pretty stupid, I pulled the plug on the router and plugged it right back it. Went back to my computer and sure enough, there was my Internet signal back, strong as ever.

"Why would that work?," I asked the man.

"Sometimes the routers just lock up," he said.

A temperamental router, great. But at least some IT guy will have a great story to tell his wife when he gets home about the idiot who was without his computer for nine hours because he didn't know how to unplug his router.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relax, it happens to everyone, and we all had that first time when someone told us to unplug the router. It will happen again, but now you know.

Anonymous said...

Wait untill this happens to an older person that isn't savy about computers and they want to read the paper on line...We all know how temperamental computers can be.
Not happy with the online FJ.....

Anonymous said...

The exact same thing happened to me two weeks ago in Ann Arbor. Do you have Comcrap? I think they are cutting people's signals so they can charge them a service fee to come out, which is what happened to us. They told us we should have a good signal, made us unplug a bunch of shit and when it still didn't work, they showed up two days later. Bastards. Story idea!!! At least they didn't try to sell me their bs land-line service this time...