Monday, April 20, 2009

Go Detroit Free Press! A little bragging rights for the State News too.

Congratulations to Detroit Free Press reporters M.L. Elrick and Jim Schaefer for winning the Pulitzer Prize in the local reporting category today.

Update: I see this is a co-winner with this newspaper.

Obviously, the two won for the dogged work they did in uncovering the text message scandal that brought down the administration of Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Good for the Free Press for giving them the time and room to pursue such an important story. It's these kinds of investigative pieces that will be threatened as newspapers continue to downsize their staffs.

The best part, for me anyway, is that Emrick is an alum of my favorite newspaper, The State News at Michigan State University.

The State News has its initial story.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your fellow State News alum. As a graduate of that other school, I also can crow that a fellow Michigan Daily alum, former co-editor-in-chief Eugene Robinson, won the Pulitzer for commentary for his work at the Washington Post.

Ex-Daily guy.

Jim of L-Town said...

I have a fond spot in my heart for the Michigan Daily. If you haven't read my previous post on the great State News vs. Michigan Daily football game in 1978, I'll have to find the link to my post on that game.

The Daily was always a good news competitor and I have many good Michigan friends.

I think someone is in the process of compiling a list of State News Pulitzer Prize winners, hopefully someone will do that for the Daily as well.

Anonymous said...

That's a challenge, Jim, but let me list the Daily folks who I worked with that have won Pulitzers:

Anne Marie Lipinski, Chicago Tribune (former editor-in-chief)

Gene Robinson, Washington Post (former editor-in-chief)

Dan Biddle, Philadelphia Inquirer (former editor-in-chief)

I am sure that I am missing a bunch from just my years. These folks were and are all terrific journalists.

By the way, we were always jealous of the State News and its humongous budget. (When I was a Daily reporter, I made a grand total of $35 a month!)

I had the privilege of working with George Bullard of the Detroit News, who was a former State News guy, and he said it was a great place.

Ex-Daily guy.

Anonymous said...

Eugene Robinson is nothing to brag about.

Anonymous said...

Jim, here's some more Pulitzer-prize winning Michigan Daily alums:

Lisa Pollak, Baltimore Sun
Amy Harmon, New York Times
Arthur Miller, playwright

Ex-Daily guy.

Jim of L-Town said...

A former colleague of mine, Jim Mitzelfeld, a former State Newser one one a few years ago, but I'll have to do a little more research on the State News Pulitzer Prize winners.

I know one thing, I never won one, although we had our Buell Elementary School shooting series entered. (We lost that year to the Miami Herald and the little Cuban kid who was "rescued" by Janet Reno.

Jim of L-Town said...

Ex-Daily guy:

Here's the link to the story of The State News vs. Michigan Daily game.

http://freefromeditors.blogspot.com/2008/04/it-was-football-game-not-cookie-day.html