Sunday, September 7, 2008

New season, same old Lions, ugggh


All the optimism of a 4-0 preseason just evaporated with the reality of a 34-21 loss (and it wasn't really that close) to the young Atlanta Falcons team (rookie quarterback Matt Ryan shredded the Lions) may be a preview of what is to come.

As always, my expectations for the Lions (last championship came when Eisenhower was President) were very low and not unrewarded. My plans were not to watch the game, but my wife talked me into it saying that I needed to relax after a busy week and a busy Saturday cleaning our yard.

Now I wish I had worked outside. What a wasted afternoon watching a wasted effort by a wasted team.

If any city or region needed a lift right now it's Detroit (depression, disgraced Mayor, slumping Detroit Tigers baseball team - and if you need more I can send them to you) but unlike the inspirational New Orleans Saints, we have, to be charitable, an unusually bad football team here in Detroit.

So I hate to give up on them this early, but for the sake of my attitude and to return productiveness to my afternoons, I must. Someone let me know if they turn the corner on this miserable performance, but not until they have tallied eight wins, anything less is just another wasted season.
And just in case you are an Atlanta Falcons fan, don't get too excited about your team, either. The Lions have made a lot of poor teams look better than they really are in recent years. So I wish you well, but you'll need to face a real team before you know how good your team is.

The Ford family might have had the formula for making a good car at one time, but they have been failures at football, but they cling to the franchise that so desperately needs a Jerry Jones or another owner who not only cares about football, but winning.

At least training camp starts soon for the Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup winning hockey team.

Let's go Red Wings!

3 comments:

Jim's brother said...

Was Detroit's winning season the year they beat the 49's at Keasar in San Francisco? 49's also look to have a stinko of a season again.

Jim of L-Town said...

Hey bro. They've actually had a couple winning seasons since the SF 49er days, but not many.
The Lions have been so bad, for so long that an 8-8 season would be like winning the Super Bowl.
But unlike the 49ers, the fools here keep selling out the stadium for this stinko team and there is little incentive to force the owner to make it better.

Glad you checked in.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Lets talk Sharks! I haven't, and am not now been a big hockey fan but I know that you are. As always, I wish your team luck. When I played peewee football, we won, but I had very little to do with it as I was always a linemen. Im sure you have storys of me taking myself out of a game and what not. That was a long time ago but Im sure you remember. Thats real. You want fake, watch weastling.I like sports but I like to play too.