Monday, May 19, 2008

The tall tale of the hopping raccoon


Early this morning my wife came in asking me if I knew a creature that looked like a raccoon but hopped like a rabbit.
Mind you, recently I've been getting phone calls from a "buy-out" buddy named Kim who spends his early retirement days walking around his property talking to birds.
"Hey, Jim, right now I'm looking at a yellow-throated kiwi nut hatch in my backyard, when I say 'kaloooo, kalooo' it looks at my and sings back," Kim will say excitedly into the phone.
So now on top of this insanity, my wonderful wife is spotting hopping raccoons.
At 5:45 a.m. I mustered my best sense of humor and told her it might be the rare "hopping raccoon of Michigan."

She was not amused and accused me of making fun of her. "Who me? I would never make fund of you." When I told her I was going to blog about it, she was even less amused.

But if anyone knows of a critter that hops like a rabbit, but looks like a raccoon feel free to chime in.

In the meantime, I'm going to hide the wine in the closet and hopefully, Kim will find a new job and leave the birds alone for awhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you blog about hopping racoons, the editors at TFJ are gonna require you to find a group, somewhere, that is against hopping racoons.

And we can expect an editor column soon talking about how surprised they were at the controversy not stirred up about hopping, omnivorous mammals.

Just sayin'...

;)