Thursday, May 22, 2008

Shufflin' off to Buffalo, bye to Robyn

Time for another excursion to Buffalo, NY to help with the family. It's also time to weatherproof the wheelchair ramp I installed there about six weeks ago. So blogging will be at a minimum this weekend, but I'll try to drop in once in awhile. The housesitter is here, so I'll make this next post quick.

I'll have a lot more to say about this next matter later, because I know a lot more about this, but high class, experienced reporter Robyn turned her last shift at the Flint Journal Wednesday.

While Robyn didn't qualify for the buyout because a few years ago she left and then came back as a part-time employee she has departed after some rather crude treatment. Mind you Robyn isn't complaining to me, but most people at the paper, and many who have left, know what happened to Robyn.

So instead of having a pile of money dangled in front of her, they just treated her badly.

Later, I'll explain to you how she wanted, should have had, but was denied one of the open editor slots on the weekly side. Instead the paper has hired a couple of lightweights who have told everyone that they "are now at the helm."

I have U.S. Navy experience as a helmsman and trust me under the current leadership the U.S.S. Flint Journal is headed for the rocks and shoals. Especially when high class, experienced reporters like Robyn are pushed out the door.

But like I said, I'm headed out the door myself, so just whet your appetite for the story to come.
Robyn, in case you turn in here, you know I love you and enjoyed working with you for so many years. To kind of twist the old Bogie phrase: "We'll always have Theron Wiggins!" (Don't worry I'll explain that too!)

Robyn, enjoy the peace and quiet that comes after the Journal, enjoy that husband and kids and just know that you will be sorely missed, even if some folks don't believe it.

Oh, and one more thing, I have to give the big editor credit for one thing: He said that blogging was the wave of the future and that it could be fun. Man, was he right!

No comments: