Friday, August 7, 2009

Pendragon: Camelot - Booth version

A poster named Pendragon spent some time writing this version of "Camelot" for a comment. It was too good to keep buried.

CAMELOT (Booth Newspapers version)

Back then we never worked too late on Friday
At 37-and-a-half we stopped
The benefits and pay were sweet in my day
In Camelot.

All layoffs were forbidden till forever
They never had to fear a union shop
Our health-care would be paid for, ending never,
In Camelot

Camelot! Camelot!
I know it sounds a bit naïve,
But in Camelot, Camelot
We wanted to believe…

Our pay came three-and-fifty times a year here
The other shoe, it seemed, would never drop
There never seemed a cause for anxious fear here
In Camelot.

Camelot! Camelot!
We always thought we were immune
But in Camelot, Camelot
It ended all too soon.

The pension, we were told, would keep on growing
We’d fill our dippers from the brimming pot
In short, we felt, there’s not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
in Camelot.

(Reprise, sung by last surviving Content Director to wide-eyed young intern:)
Each evening, from December to December,
Before your bedtime Twitter post you jot,
Think back on all the tales that you remember
Of Camelot.
Ask ev’ry person if he’s heard the story,
And Tweet it strong and clear if he has not,
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.
Camelot! Camelot!
Now say it out with pride and joy!

“Camelot! Camelot!”
Yes, Camelot, my boy!

Where once we never worked too late on Friday
At 37-and-a-half we stopped…
Don’t let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot.
06 August, 2009 18:00

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Camelot, Camelot, my dear boy, where paradise still provides my mortgage, my pension, my full-time paycheck and bennies, even my dearest iPhone and office, yeah, even my haircut, but alas, dear lad, tis the sweepings of the stable with which thou must be paid, and thou must use thine own broom to clear your own remote office.

Pendragon said...

Aw, shucks, Jim from L-Town, I'm flattered.

By the way, I see a typo in the third stanza -- I meant to write "I know it sounds a bit naive" (not "It know...").

Guess we all need editors.

Jim of L-Town said...

I'll fix it.....