Sunday, May 17, 2009

Welcome home, the best gift you can give our troops

Probably motivated by my service in Vietnam, I have a strong affection for the men and women who serve our country in the armed services. The experience of many veterans of the Vietnam War were negative when they returned home.

Many of us simply went back to our lives and because I was going to a small community college on the San Francisco peninsula, service in Vietnam was not something you boasted or talked about in the liberal, protest roiled campuses of northern California.

I'm a sucker for our troops. When I am traveling and see soldiers, airmen, marines, coasties, and sailors (especially sailors) in airports, I always walk up and thank them for their service. Much to my wife's chagrin, I have sometimes anonymously purchased meals for a table of 4 or 5 veterans sitting in an airport restaurant. It's a gift I give to myself because it feels good to do it.

No matter how you feel about the war do these folks the honor of thanking them for doing what so many others avoid. I was reminded of this by an e-mail attachment I received from a member of my church.

This was a 2007 "Person of the Week" segment on ABC's evening news.

Military service made me a better person, but it is a sacrifice, so let them know you appreciate it when you see them. It just takes a second to say "Welcome home, thanks for serving." It'll make their day, and I'll bet it'll make you feel good too.

Doesn't hurt to thank those like my own father, my father-in-law and others who fought in World War II, the Korean War or Vietnam either.

No comments: