Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring Break - the adventure begins

Tomorrow is getaway day for us. We're taking our trailer on its maiden voyage to Kentucky and while I'm told there is wireless at the campground where we are going, I don't plan to be online much.

I do have one post scheduled to automatically post on Sunday. A little retrospective from my perspective about "What Went Wrong?" at the Flint Journal.

A woman I worked with at the FJ used to brag about Kentucky and how great it was, so we've decided to take in the sights in and around Berea, Lexington and Frankfort. If the stars line up right we might even make a short trip to Lou-ville to check out Churchill Downs.

So feel free to continue to post comments, but they may not appear as quickly as they usually do. The folks who need to know my cellphone number do and they know to call me if something serious comes up.

To inaugurate our new adventures I have launched a new blog - http://www.grandmasrecess.blogspot.com/.

That blog will be strictly a journal of our travels and you are welcome to stop by, peek over our shoulder and see what we are doing, or not. If you come there, don't complain about what I post, I won't care.

In my next writing career, I would love to do some kind of travel writing, but mostly I just like writing, There won't be newspaper news over at Grandma's Recess unless it relates to travel, but there could be a humorous anecdote or two.

This really marks the end of the beginning and the real start of my retirement. I started my first job at 11 years old babysitting and later did yard work for a church and a dress shop all through high school.

I've worked for 50 years and now plan to slow down a little and maybe smell the roses, or in the case of Kentucky, a little manure.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time down there, Jim. If you get a chance, visit Berea College; very nice school, with a very nice philosophy; every student has to work on campus.

Oh, and it's "LU-vul." ;)

Anonymous said...

check out Cumberland Falls park and Natural Bridge, too. Beautiful state, though you're going a little early in the year.

Jan Scholl said...

http://realitybitesback.blogspot.com/

Don't know if you have seen this one, but I am adding it to my daily reads. Have fun on your trip. I am supposed to go to New Orleans to check out possible retirement places in May-because I ain't staying here and Iowa (sofa boy's home state) is off my radar thankfully

Jim of L-Town said...

We know it's early, but this is the time we have until my wife retires. We wanted to stay one day's drive from home. The most important thing is that it's south.

We'll see if we can get to Cumberland Falls and Natural Bridge.

Berea College is definitely on our list to see. Are you sure it isn't LUUUUU-Vul.

Thanks Jan, I'll check it out. Last time I went to New Orleans it was driving a truck and much of the city had not yet been repaired. That said, we love New Orleans and plan to travel there. I want to see how the church we rebuilt after Katrina is doing.

Good luck on your search.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Kentucky IS beautiful, too bad you have to drive through Ohio to get there. Otherwise, I think we would head down a few times a year. You can just drive around aimlessly and come across things that take your breath away.

Anonymous said...

Berea is a great crafts community...make sure to catch a meal at the Boone Tavern on campus....students work there....great old South feel.

If in Lexington area...see if you can catch Shakertown...sort of Greenfield Village like but you can also have a nice meal and actually stay in rooms decorated Shaker-like. Amazingly peaceful, especially at night.

Anonymous said...

Have a good time James. Leave time for those pit stops a man your age might need. Have fun.

Jim of L-Town said...

We are definitely eating at Boone Tavern (lots of people recommended that to us before we left).

Berea College, as I said before is definitely on our itinerary.

Had not heard of Shakertown, but we're going to put that on our list too. Probably won't spend the night because we need to get acquainted with our house on wheels.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Look over on grandmasrecess.blogspot.com to see how our first day went.

Jim

Adman said...

Jim,

have a great time. I just got back from playing golf in Lexington.

Jim of L-Town said...

Dear Ruth:

Let me just say, thank you. I'm glad you like to the blog.

Jim