Saturday, November 15, 2008

More fun with metaphors


My wife did it again. During a pillow talk conversation she said: "The gravy is always better on the other side."

Now did she mean: "The grass is greener on the other side of the fence," or did it have to do with something like a "gravy train." Again, no clue.

But we're still riding the golden cow. In case you didn't read or forgot:

http://freefromeditors.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-about-little-fun-with-golden-cow.html

On a news channel this week I heard a pundit say: "He seems to be swimming against a head wind." Clearly, you might have trouble swimming against a head wind, but isn't the proper saying: "Swimming against the tide/current."

And running against a headwind would make more sense.

Just a little light discussion for the weekend. We've had enough of the other this week.

(As a disclaimer my wife wants me to assure you she is not a "ditz")

3 comments:

Jim's brother said...

So how warm is that dog house these days Jim?

Jim's brother said...

Just an aside comment as I was watching the snowgame in Ann Arbor against N'Western .. What happened to your "Hail to Whom?" bumpersticker you had a few years back?

Jim of L-Town said...

It probably outlasted the car it was on.

And the doghouse (or the little white steel building where I keep my tools) is often used as a threat when I get too far out of line.

Fortunately, my wife's computer isn't working and she rarely reads my blog. Although I have told her that I had a "little" fun with her metaphors.