Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New visitors and a murder map

Flint Expats (see link to the right) has a grim, but interesting tool that they use based on the Flint Journal's crime coverage.

A number of years ago, the Flint Journal, which used to keep a running annual homicide tally, sacrificed that to political correctness. Mind you, the murders keep adding up, the Journal just decided not to do the math for its readers.

When the paper moved to end the running tally, many folks called or asked why we did that. I could never give them a good answer. Somehow, publicizing the obvious and real became political incorrect. And some wonder why they are losing business.

And wasn't it just about three months ago the paper ran a story about how few homicides there had been?

But Flint Expats is doing the work and here is the link:

http://www.communitywalk.com/flint/michigan/flint_homicides_2008/map/247119

The author of that blog is a frequent visitor and sometime commentor here. I recommend his blog as daily reading. There is plenty of news from Flint, ironically from a guy living out of state.

In an unrelated topic, overnight Monday someone from the Phillipines checked in to the site making us a stop for people in 31 countries now. I have had visitors from 47 of the 57 states (a little Barack Obama joke). With the hits I'm getting, I just wonder when I can start selling ads. That would put me back in the news business, wouldn't it? Never mind.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for talking about an a reality the journal seems to ignore. I'm amazed they don't at least give you the yearly homicide total at the end of each new murder story.

redgirl said...

Hi Jim, though I originally hail from Flint you can add Austria to your list of countries if you haven't already. Incidentally, I found you through flintexpats... Liebe Grüße, redgirl

Jim of L-Town said...

Austria is certainly one of the 31. It's nice to have you in the family of freefromeditor readers.
I really like flintexpats and I hope some of my visitors go there as well.
Is Austria as pretty as it looks in pictures? So far all my travels (mostly paid for by the U.S. Navy) have been to the orient.
I spent a good deal of time around Vietnam and although the beaches looked beautiful they were not very friendly when I was there in the 1960s. Better now, I hear.
Please keep visiting....

Jim

Jim's brother said...

The area around Wolfsgang Zee where they filmed the "Sound of Music" is gorgeous as is Strasburg and its main plaza has wonderful torts. The only problem was the last time I was there McDonald's had opened in an historic building right across from Mozart's birthplace.

Jim of L-Town said...

Hi brother!

That's right, thanks to Uncle Sam you got to visit Europe and the South Seas (Vietnam).
I'll call you this weekend and see how things are going.

Love, me

Anonymous said...

Hey Pop, I have only been outside this country twice, and that was to Mexico and Canada. I dont think it counts. Call me. You know who I am.