Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A photo for an old story




Previously, I've written about an incident that occurred on a Navy ship when I was 18. Instead of telling the whole story again, here is the link:


While in Buffalo this time I went down to the Naval Park, which only recently re-opened after major construction and renovation. One of my favorite exhibits (if you can call an entire ship an exhibit) is the USS Sullivans, DD-537. While a little older than either of my two destroyers, it is a carbon copy of my first one, the USS Cogswell, DD651.

I took a bunch of pictures (170 to be exact) of the Sullivans, the USS Little Rock and the submarine SSN Croaker which are also on display.

Just to give you a picture of where I was when my mother made her fateful pronouncement I am including a picture of the bridge (wheelhouse) of the Sullivans. Now the destroyer I was serving on when my mother embarrassed me had just a little more room behind the wheel than what you see in the photo.

I'm also including a photo of the little chart room where I did my regular work off watch and also a picture of the tight sleeping quarters.

Hope you enjoy these. Also if you are ever in Buffalo, and why would you be unless you knew someone here, do stop by the Naval Park as it has a number of interesting military exhibits, even apart from the three Navy vessels.

By the way, the USS Sullivans was named after five brothers who were sunk and drowned while serving together in World War II on the USS Juneau. Their story became a major wartime motion picture, which you can probably rent somewhere. I know I have, but it has been years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my.... a jolt back again! do tell your readers about the trip home (Sept/Oct 68) when you slept with a Pachinko (sp?) game and a 18" square box of silver flatware! China too? I know you brought home half of Hong Kong with you.

hmmmm, to be young!

Amazing.

Jim of L-Town said...

I will, but it will have to wait a day or so.....

Young is always good....