Thursday, April 17, 2008

Say a little prayer

A longtime acquaintance, Ray Hawks, current police chief of Capac in Michigan, was shot Wednesday while trying to arrest a man. A sheriff's deputy also suffered minor wounds.
Hawks is a longtime police officer who I knew during my five years as a reporter with the Oakland Press in Pontiac.
Hawks, who is reportedly in critical but stable condition, is now expected to survive and I just want to offer a little prayer for his complete recovery.
When I knew Ray in Pontiac he was a sergeant, and later a lieutenant, but one of those rare supervisors who never gave up being a street cop just because he was a supervisor.
Obviously, that love of street patrol never changed and he's still answering "routine" calls even as a chief. A few years ago we talked again after one of his former officers got entangled with a Lapeer County police officer who was dealing in steroid distribution.
After talking about the case at hand, Ray and I relived some of those wonderful years in Pontiac.
In my early days at the Oakland Press (1984) Ray often would let me ride with him during my off duty hours so I could learn the streets and see his job close up.
When I talk to journalism students I often recount those days and always suggest that any good cop reporter will learn about police work from inside the patrol car windshield to give them a little perspective on that job.
Often the media criticizes police, as it should, but frequently without the background or perspective of what the job is really like.
Because of my police service in the 1970s, I know how things look and sound inside a police car and believe any good reporter would want to learn that perspective before become an "expert" police reporter.
An incident that I frequently recount when I discuss the perils of "off-the-record" conversations was one that involved Hawks. This was 23 years ago and at his former job in Pontiac, so I'm sure Ray wouldn't mind me recounting it now. Besides the statute of limitations is long expired.
One of the first nights I rode with Ray, he told me if I was going to ride with him everything was off-the-record. This was for my experience only. I agreed to the conditions, eager to learn more about Pontiac and its police force.
At the time there had been a recent controversy over police firing warning shots over the heads of escaping suspects. The police chief at the time had forbidden the shots, and rightly so as they pose a significant risk to innocent bystanders.
About 2 a.m. Pontiac officers responded to a burglar alarm at an off-road vehicle warehouse on near Wide Track Drive. Ray responded to the scene as a back-up officers.
When we arrived one of the officers ran up to the driver's door of Hawks' patrol car and announced, "Sarge, I popped a round over one of the guys heads but he kept running."
Knowing I had heard the comment about the "warning shot" Ray turned away from the officer, looked me right in the eye and reminded me of my "off-the-record" pledge.
No one was hurt and Hawks dealt with the officer in his own way, but I never forgot the impact of his words, and the promise I made and kept.
But that was then, this is now and I know you will all join me in hoping that Chief Hawks gets completely well.
And from me to Ray, maybe it's finally time to retire.

3 comments:

KMO said...

Ray Hawks was a mentor to me when I came on board the Pontiac Police force as a Reserve Officer not only did he take me under his wing to learn new ways of Law Enforcement, but also as a friend , for 20 long years I have known this street smart Officer , Lieutenant, Sergeant,one who cared about the "little people",in Pontiac and now in the City of Capac , should he have been gunned down ? No the suspect should have taken his medicine like a man, Ray, would have given his eye tooth to him but NOOOO he has to shoot a Police Chief and a St Clair County Deputy in the line of duty, I have told Ray many times on phone to be safe and he was. Well today I'll have a chance to see him .Chief Raymond Hawks you and your wife are in our prayers,that you make a speedy recovery,and go back to what you do best Police work.God Bless you and your wife,in these trying times.

As for the suspect, I wish Michigan had a death penalty for anyone Shooting a Police Chief, Officer,Sergeant, Lieutenant,or Captain,in or out of the line of duty,I have lost too many friends
and colleagues to this type of action .

Jim of L-Town said...

kmo:

Thanks for your comments. Maybe our paths crossed at one time and I'm glad you have found your way here.
When you see Ray Hawks, please extend to him my best wishes for a complete recovery and a long deserved retirement.
When I think of a hard-working, people oriented cop, I often think of Ray.
Please don't be a stranger on this site, kmo.

Jim

KMO said...

Jim maybe our paths have crossed before I heard Ray had a 4 th surgery I wish him a speedy recovery and wish Vickie to be strong for her husband.

KMO