Friday, April 11, 2008

Heeeee's back


Joan and I arrived back from Buffalo late Thursday afternoon. The trip was successful in that I was able to complete a wheelchair ramp for my father-in-law although my construction project reminded me of the old saying: "Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it over."

A couple of construction shortcuts had to be redone which meant an extra day's stay in Buffalo.

We were blessed with wonderful weather and if you have the notion please send up a prayer or two for my dear father-in-law Red.

On the way home we encountered one of my major pet peeves. When you cross the Peace Bridge in Buffalo coming back into Canada you have to pay a toll on the Canadian side, after the border inspection.

When we approached the toll taker, she was surly. As always when I handed her the money I said something pleasant. She simply glowered. So I'm thinking she's probably making $15 to sit there all day and take money and she can't even manage a "thank you" or a smile.

But as I thought again, maybe sitting in a booth all day taking money is not the most pleasant or interesting job. So I'll cut her a little slack and pray for whatever may be going on in her life that makes her so miserable.

Also we arrived home too late for me to attend the going away party for my friend Brooke R. who is leaving the Journal as part of the buyout. Brooke is one of those "good" editors I mentioned early in the blog.

Oh, we had our moments, and there were times she told me to go somewhere really hot, but in all the years we worked together I did respect her judgement and I believe she mostly respected what I did as part of my beat.

A healthy tension and a few arguments are a healthy thing in any good newsroom. It shows care and passion, which is sometimes lacking these days.

Anyway, Brooke reads the blog and I want to wish her well in her retirement.

No comments: