Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Comerica Park: Church our way

A young man (younger than me) has been attending our Wednesday night Bible study since September and I haven't had a chance to be one-on-one with him to get to know him better.

So with my wife in Buffalo for two weeks, I took the opportunity to get tickets to last night's Detroit Tigers game against the Texas Rangers and invited him. Our new church (New Wine Anglican Mission) believes that church is not a building.
Jesus was not confined to a 'building' and his ministry was pretty much where ever he was. Church is a state of mind and it is all about relationships and looking after one another and helping others. Our mission statement is simple: Love God, Love People.

Some of us meet on Monday and Wednesday nights and many of us meet on Sunday and most of us meet on both days. There's no 'rule' about what day 'church' is. We rent an inexpensive space in the City of Flint and 95 percent of all our financial support goes to ministry and not keeping up a building.

It's come-as-you-are and our pastor is awesome. We look for ways to be together for fun (like baseball games, barbecues and game nights) and we take care of each other.

We pray for folks we've never met and look for opportunities to meet people where they are.

All that to say, that you can 'do' church at a baseball game. Scott and I had a great time and I think we got to know each other a lot better. Dare I say I have made a new friend and one can never have too many of those. It was also my first ever visit to the new park. I went to several games a year at the old Tiger Stadium, but lost my zeal for baseball many years ago. I may have gotten some of that back last night.

Oh, and the Tigers won 4-0 on a night that began with cloudless skies and 74 degrees at first pitch. It ended with a cloudless sky and 71 degrees. On the way home we talked and listened to the Detroit Red Wings win their playoff game against the Chicago Blackhawks in overtime.

I'm on a real high today for a lot of reasons.

Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff, Jim!

Congrats on figuring out that church is not a building!

Todd

Kevin McKague said...

That's a fantastic story, Jim!

Anonymous said...

I would of loved to go to a ball game with you. Go Sharks!

Pa said...

Amen! Love People, Love God. Nothing more, nothing less. Except maybe Love God Love ALL People.

Jim of L-Town said...

All people is who we love.