Sunday, December 13, 2009

Saturday Night Live: How the mighty have fallen

For the first time in ages I was up late enough to watch Saturday Night Live. We turned it off about half way through. It was horrible. Not just horrible, but embarrassingly horrible.

What has happened to the writers on that show? The only part that was halfway acceptable was the news portion, but the skits were as lame as I could ever imagine.

Maybe it will never regain its level of Belushi, Chase, Farrell, etc., but what I saw last night wouldn't survive most local cable access channels.

Here's a free script idea for SNL: Take any President Obama speech or any Republican or Democrat congressional representative giving a speech or conducting a hearing and simply run the sound track of one of the Peanuts television specials, but only play the noise that adults make when the speak.

"Waaah, waaah, wah, wah, waaaaaaaah, waaaaah." That's what all their hot air is starting to sound like to me.

I tried to listen to President Obama give one of his daily speeches (and he has a clear speech delivery) broadcast everywhere and it suddenly occurred to me that I had completely tuned out the message. The first thing that came to mind was the adults speaking on Peanuts. It was really startling how the rhetoric has become so repetitious that it just puts you to sleep.

Shorten up the speeches Prez, they are too long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your idea sounds like a sketch written be a newspaper writer. There's a reason you guys don't write comedy.

Anonymous said...

Jim: Any hope of Saturday Night Live being funny ended in March of 1982 when John Belushi died. I love that one makeshift memorial someone put up at Martha's Vineyard (where Belushi's buried): "He could've given us many more laughs, BUT NOOOOOOOOOO!"

S.T.F.I./DKrease said...

Amen

S.T.F.I./DKrease said...

There's a reason that Anonymous doesn't write for a living....it's called typos.