Saturday, March 3, 2012

A file photo for a recent windstorm?

A friend sent me this link to a story of recent wind damage in Flint. The photo (which is given as a "file photo") appears to be out-of-date because the officer and police car in the picture are dated.

Can't imagine using a file photo for an on-going news event. If someone has more info, please advise.

I learned early in my journalism career that file photos of current events are dangerous. If you want more information on my own experience in file photos, let me know.

In the story comments the reporter chimed in that a "real" photo will be used when one is obtained. So you use an old unrelated storm photo? Sheesh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what's next? A file photo of a body laying in the street with a caption that says "Journal File photo" a body similar to this one was found in a house on Dayton Street. When we get a picture of that scene we'll substitute it.

Or, a file photo of a disruptive protest to illustrate a different protest.

Good god, what are they doing over there?

Anonymous said...

I love how the Journal response argues that there is a Kroger on Pierson and Elms. The irony being that the story says "Kroger restaurant" which the commenter noted and yet it went right over the Journal responders head.

Jan Scholl said...

I have that photo in my head because I remembered it. I do believe it was the tornado. It pissed me off! Hell, I would have gone out and taken some photos for them, but why bother? I need to go chop up the limbs down in my yard. Can dogs use a chainsaw??

Jim of L-Town said...

Actually, I know the officer in the photo and she no longer works at the department.

Anonymous said...

It's 10 p.m. and the wrong/old photo is still on the now updated story. LOL Plus a commenter wants to know why there isn't a map of the areas with outages. Answer:
Sorry packanimal, Consumers Energy didn't give information about which areas of Genesee County were without power.
Thanks for reading!
This is why you develop sources you poor writers. They even have a comm person who makes public statements. Saw her on TV earlier. Maybe they just don't do weather stories anymore. God this is some funny stuff!!