Friday, January 1, 2010

Cheers Mike, we miss you

It hardly seems possible, but it is one year to the day that my brother Mike died. I received word of his death in California from my sister-in-law just as I arrived at Detroit Metropolitan Airport about 7 a.m. to catch my flight.

For a lot of reasons, I have been anxious to put 2009 behind us, but no reason greater than the loss of my brother on New Year's Day 2009.

With the news grim on New Year's Eve, I tried to find a flight out to see him before he died, but the best I could do was an early morning Southwest flight to Oakland. We talked on the phone early on New Year's Eve Day and he was aware that things weren't good and we said our good-byes. He was still insisting I not make the trip out. It was a request I knew I could not honor.

Fortunately, my sister-in-law Barbara had a long time friend with her when the end came. The next couple days were filled with arrangements and putting away Christmas decorations that my brother had put out just a few weeks before.

It was not until three days later that I realized I had missed the New Year's Day bowl game of my beloved Michigan State Spartans. I didn't know if they had won or lost (they lost) and frankly forgot who they played. It's amazing how priorities can change in an instant.

But when I finally did remember the game I had missed, I remembered another game my brother and I had attended. It was a late season game at Spartan Stadium. He arrived on a flight from California in the morning and we drove straight to the stadium. At the time he was dressed in a spring jacket and dress shoes and as I recall the temps were below freezing.

MSU was winning the game going away (MSU vs. Iowa, November 25, 1978, final score 42-7), but despite his pleadings I said we had to stay to the end. A slight fellow, my brother was very cold and was very happy when we got back to my warm apartment.

But I couldn't help but smile when I thought maybe, just maybe, he left me on New Year's just so I would miss that bowl game and he would get the last laugh over a game I made him stay at long after he wanted to leave.

Today, will be tough for a lot of those folks who loved Mike. We were apart far too long until we reconnected a few years ago. It's very hard to believe my little brother is gone, but I'm warmed by the memories I have of him, even the "cold" ones.

If you get a chance today, reach out to a loved one you haven't seen or talked to in awhile. You won't regret it.

Happy New Year.

6 comments:

pam said...

That was beautiful Jim, thank you. (I'm hoping I don't blow out my computer with tears pouring onto it.)

It really is hard to believe that he is gone, and that he has been gone a year.

We love you Mike.

Jim of L-Town said...

Thanks Pam,

It was not a day I have been looking forward to, but I know he would want us to move on and be happy.

Jim

Jan Scholl said...

I lost my mom and my sister (still being reviewed by coroner 6 weeks later) this past year. Along with my two beloved cats just weeks apart , it is hard get over that darkness that sets in and settles as a knot in your stomach. I know they are both is a better place and that no one can take advantage of either of them again. I did what you referenced-about reaching out-early this morning. I have been estranged from a brother off and on (he is the reason there is an investigation into my sister's death). I care about him but the drama just suffocated you sometimes. I wanted him to know I love him. That never changes. And never will.

Jim of L-Town said...

Good for you Jan. In my life I know there have been times when I have been on the outs with someone and after a certain amount of time you can't even remember what the estrangement is about.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses this past year. It is incredibly difficult to recover from these events.

Wishing for you a much brighter 2010.

Jim

Susan said...

Again, you have written a nice tribute to someone special. We should always cherish the good times and not dwell on events that become real insignificant in the big picture.

Unknown said...

The last part of your story about your bother is so true. Reach to one's who you do not see often.
I got a phone call today of my cousin passed on this New Year's Day. Also My mom passed recently too. I am really glad that we were good friends tell the end.Glad you shared your thoughts. Smiles, Janis Lixey