Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Talking about football, for a minute

Joan and I are still drying out from sitting at the MSU vs. Florida Atlantic game at Spartan Stadium Saturday.
Even before we left Lapeer, Joan was urging me to reconsider and stay home and watch the game on television.

"But I already bought the tickets and besides, it can't rain all day," I told her.

Wrong. It not only rained all day, it got harder as the day went on. But she was a good sport and didn't whine and sat in the upper deck shrouded in a poncho for three hours. Finally, when the score was 17-0 in with five minutes left in the fourth quarter, I looked at her and offered an escape. She gladly took it.

The score didn't change and we didn't dry out until late Saturday night. On Sunday, the rain continued, but we didn't stay home to watch the hapless Detroit Lions.

Instead we went to an RV show (yes, we may be the only people in the country looking at buying a gas guzzling truck and Fifth Wheel recreational vehicle) to look at the new models. So the fundamentals of our economy are strong.

As far as the Lions, I'm not even concerned about them. I have adopted the Buffalo Bills (it's my second home after all) and really have better things to do with my time than be concerned with the semi-pro team that occupies Ford Field.

I am going to purchase a short series of tickets for the Detroit Red Wings hockey team (Gordy Howe series - 9 games) for the coming season.

7 comments:

Jim's brother said...

Joan thought she had it bad, what about the MSU - Iowa State game in 1978 when I froze to death.

Jim of L-Town said...

That, my dear brother, was entirely your fault. You came to Michigan in November dressed like you were going to the beach.
Not my fault you wore a business suit and dress shoes to a football game in the snow.
I will admit that my stubbornness in not leaving the game until it was over when the score was something like 48-10 in the fourth quarter. I believe it was the University of Iowa we played.
It was the last game of the year and Kirk Gibson was thrown of the game after he was provoked into a fight during the first half. So he ended his stellar football career on the bench.
See, you got a lot more than you bargained for when you commented.

Jim of L-Town said...

Sorry Bro, just looked up the score and it was 42-7, so it was even worse than I remembered.
Also the paid attendance that day was 57,007, which was about 13,000 less than all the other home games that year.
Might have had something to do with the weather.
So, I guess I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Im back! Be nice to my uncle Dad.

Anonymous said...

Can I just point out one thing? If my uncle wore the wrong thing to a football game at M.S.U. you should have warned him that it might be cold. Next time you stay at my home maybe you can sleep on my deck with no blaket. How about that?

Jim of L-Town said...

Does that mean your dog won't be bothering me? That would be OK.

Anonymous said...

You can use Taylor to keep you warm! Taylor liked you you know? They say Border collies are smart but I dont know about Taylor?