Sunday, August 3, 2008

More skunk news with a "Country Chic" touch


Believe it or not, I have yet another encounter with a skunk. We awoke last night about 2 a.m. to the pungent odor of skunk. Sometimes we are visited by skunks, but this was particularly close.

When I got up in the morning to retrieve my copy of the Flint Journal (we have an excellent carrier, by the way) I found the source.

Someone had hit a mature skunk and it was laying in the middle of the road by my mailbox. It was clearly the source of the odor.

After returning from church I found that none of my neighbors had stepped forward to dispose of the skunk so after lunch my wife and I headed out to the road, me with a shovel and she with a large garbage bag to collect the carcass.

My wife immediately called my attention to the obvious "Country chic" moment that we were experiencing. Although I had changed from my Sunday best, she was still dressed nicely and advised she was helping bag a skunk while wearing her Honora pearl necklace.

So we dodged traffic, but bagged up the skunk and after we finished a neighbor of mine, who works from the road commission offered to throw it in his truck and deposit it in the commission's dumpster.

Obviously, this is the week of the skunk. (Photo credit is from Flickr. This is not our skunk, but a photo similar to our skunk. Our skunk was in much worse shape than this. Trust me, you would not have wanted to see a picture of our skunk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you dug a hole and buried it, Its one less. Death to all smelly skunks!

Jim's brother said...

I had a skunk die under my house in the middle of summer and all the neighborhood was impressed by the impression it made. I have not been back under the house since and that was two years ago.

Jim of L-Town said...

Dear Jim's brother:

Hey when I'm out there next year, we'll go under there together and collect the skunk.
Hope all is well bro.

Love, Jim

Jim's brother said...

Oh no, I removed that skunk ASAP with much applause from the people next door (that was all the help they would provide). The spiders and other such critters still makes my skin crawl such as a black widow spider that was huge.