Monday, December 1, 2008

Lessons from an early retirement

Today marks a full one year since I walked out the Flint Journal door for the last time. At the time of the buyout announcements last year I made it clear to the editor I was ready to leave, and to leave soon.

Much of that eagerness had to do with my frustration at the lack of clear leadership in the newsroom. The editor, despite his public pronoucements to the contrary, kept his circle of influence and advice very small. He listened to only one or two male editors and the rest of us got a pat on the head for our suggested changes.

That's OK, it's his paper. But he was wrong and the product has paid the price. Too bad his bosses don't see it. And again, just so there is no misunderstanding, this is not about them being bad people, just being bad editors and managers.

I'd had my fill of his incompetence and lackluster leadership and was ready to go. So I was among the first in the newsroom (I think one copy editor left ahead of me by a couple weeks) and among the first ten to leave in the paper.

It's been an interesting year one in which I have learned some valuable lessons.

1.) The good friends I had at the paper have remained good friends in retirement.

2.) There are many more interesting things to do than I could have imagined.

3.) My wife is really my best friend.

4.) I sleep better.

5.) I worry less.

6.) I eat more (that's a bad thing).

7.) It costs less to be retired than to work full-time.

8.) I still love to write and report. The work was never the issue, I always loved what I got to do.

9.) It is true what they say: I don't know how I had time to work with all the things I have to do while I'm retired.

10.) There is life (and a good one) after newspaper work.

11.) I miss many of the people that I covered on my beat. I was never tired of the people I dealt with outside the newspaper office.

12.) My father-in-law was 100 percent correct when he said, "as soon as you can retire, retire."

Now as I approach my 61st year I look forward to the rest of my retirement. My wish is for those facing a break from newspapaer that they will discover the wonderful world of life beyond news reporting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with 11 of your 12 lessons. Number 8 I can't comment on as I was never a writer. I did, however, love creating a new paper each day in production (as well as the conversation at the coffee pots once another one was put on the street). As one former printer once said.."the miracle on First Street". Sad that it soon may be a memory we tell our grandkids about. Congrats on your 1st year of retirement, Jim.
Jerry

Jim of L-Town said...

Jerry,

I miss those "hot wax" days. It was always fun and exciting to come back and see the paper going together on a Friday night.

You were among the best at at.

Something about the old process that was more exciting than the new. But then, that's probably why I'm now retired.

Good luck and thanks for the thoughts.