Thursday, July 31, 2008

Skunk help sought


My son, William, who lives in Aptos, California has again requested help for a critter problem. Remember that a few months ago he was being visited by a persistent raccoon.

Now the problem is a skunk that his dog found wandering through the yard. The dog got the business end of the skunk and now smells like a garbage dump.

I had a similar experience with my beagle, Puppy, about 11 years ago and purchased something called "Skunk Off" which was an expensive liquid ($10 a ounce if I remembered) and that helped some, but the smell persisted for more than a month.

If you have a suggestion for William, I'm sure he and his dog, Taylor, will appreciate it.
Speaking of skunks, a couple weeks ago we were coming home from a friend's house when a baby skunk started across the road. It was obvious if I continued at my speed I was going to hit the skunk so I slowed down enough to keep from hitting the skunk, but just barely.
As we went by, the skunk, which is just off the starboard side of my car let loose with its weapon and I was left wondering why I was so kind.

5 comments:

Jim's brother said...

We have skunks all the time and so far I have been fortunate not to have had direct interrelations with one other then some altercations in our back yard with some other animals. Neighbors swear by tomato juice baths as a get and inexpensive remedy. I have emailed this to Will already and hope it comes to some resolution.

Anonymous said...

Wow, All the the help Ive gotten points to tomatto juice and peroxide. Ms. Taylor is not as upset as I am, skunks stink! My only help is sleep. I don't hate many things but I truely hate skunks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks uncle! I got your email.

Anonymous said...

You should have flattend that baby skunk! If I called you Pop, you would know just who I am. Death to all skunks!

Anonymous said...

There are many myths such as tomato juice to clean skunk spray. Skunk spray is created from thiols, which are a sulfur based substance. If you don't chemically alter the odor, it will return. http://www.squidoo.com/skunk_spray explains quite a bit on the subject.