Thursday, June 5, 2008

Red Wings Rule!


Finally! After staying up until almost 1 a.m. Tuesday only to have the Red Wings lose in triple overtime, we were done a couple breaks.
So while the game was over relatively early (before 11 p.m.) I couldn't take my eyes off the post game coverage and interviews that went on until midnight (and beyond, but I had to go to sleep then).

I'm happy for Dallas Drake, he finally wins the Cup after a long career that started with the Red Wings. I'm happy for Chris Osgood, who is a lesson to anyone about being humble and waiting your turn (even after you've waited way too long already) and Darren McCarty, who nearly threw away everything for hard living and partying.

As a former baseball fan, I really lost interest in baseball after the major strike in the 1990s, but I have become a Red Wings and hockey fan.

But for those who don't understand hockey, it is not an easy trek. Four rounds of playoffs and the fact that, like the Penguins, getting close is almost as depressing as not making it at all. Take my son Bill, and his San Jose Sharks, they have been playing golf since early April after they were eliminated. That's two months ago. In just about three months these guys will be back at training camp. The playoffs are just long.

Next year, I'm not going to get so wrapped up in hoping for a Red Wings Stanley Cup. It's very draining. But then, I say that after every season, win or lose.

I taught my two-year-old granddaughter this year: "Go Red Wings, yea hockey." I was going to teach her last week to say "Booooo Penguins," but her grandmother told me that would not be a proper thing to teach her. She was right and in the end the Penguins were great opponents who gave the Red Wings everything they could handle.
Go Red Wings!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Sharks may be playing golf but I know they would beat the dead wings at golf anyway. Remember, Pop, its just an empty cup that has a bunch of names on it.

Jim of L-Town said...

William:

Yes, it's just an empty cup. An empty cup that your San Jose Sharks will never possess or have their names on.
Oh, and don't call me Pop.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Come on, I dont see you doing any ice skating. Id love to see you how you might do in a hockey game. Oh and I spelled Pop backwards. Take that and smoke it.

Anonymous said...

I can't be happier for your Red Wings. I would love to see you on a pair of skates. Id like to see me on a pair of skates. That would be a sight!

Anonymous said...

Thank God Hockey season is over! I am so tired of hearing about how much better the Red Wings are then the Sharks. Who cares? I dont.