Friday, May 30, 2008

Be nice to the troops

Today, I had a nice talk with a young soldier just back to Lapeer from boot camp and her initial training.

Part of the new Army requires new recruits to go home and serve a 30-day recruiting period before they move on to their first assignment.

She and three of her fellow soldiers were eating lunch (which I ended up buying for them) and were telling me of their experiences in boot camp and beyond.

While at their recruiting post at a nearby Walmart, the young woman, in her desert camo, said she was thanking people for their support as they walked in the store when a lady turned to her very snidely and told her "I don't support you or anything you are doing." She had a similar experience just a couple minutes later, leaving her and her Army friends a little demoralized. That's the kind of reaction I would expect (still not approve) in Berkeley, California, not "lovely Lapeer."

As a Vietnam veteran it hurts me when I hear crap like that. There's plenty of reason to be upset with the government and it's a free country so anyone can oppose the war, but when you see a soldier, please don't ever be disrespectful. Disagree if you will, but please don't be disagreeable to the troops.

If you are someone who would say such a nasty thing to someone who is sacrificing and serving, just be quiet, please.

If you get a chance to do something nice for someone in uniform, please do. After all, they're trying to do something for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone disrespect our people in uniform? I am happy to see, and read that you payed for thier meal.

Jim of L-Town said...

As it turns out, I now work with the father of the young woman soldier.
He said that the small gesture of buying them lunch really picked up them up.
In the past, when I have traveled to California, I always try to pick up the table for a small table full of soldiers at an airline restaurant.
If you can spare a few dollars it's a nice thing to do.

Jim